Sunday, April 01, 2012

A slight dilemma


My nice smartphone died. Well, not exactly, the USB connector is broken. This makes it impossible for me to charge or copy files. While I sort out repairs with my carrier, I now only have a phone with a camera capable of taking 0.3 Mexapixel (640x480) photographs in blocky jpeg. As long as the shots are properly composed, it doesn't look bad on a blog. I have a camp at fairbridge village soon and will only have that to photograph the surrounding scenery. Almost. I also have a film camera. Unfortunately, that only allows me to capture 24 photos. No more. And it can take a while to get processed. So expect the following from me in the next few months:
  • No more digiscoping. The phone I am using has no autofocus. This makes digiscoping aquiring times too long to photograph anything interesting. I can't use an SLR's 50mm lens on a binocular viewfinder either.
  • Low quality photos. Yep, I'll do my best, but 640x480 is pretty baseline. The compression does not help things either.
  • Long delays for the high quality shots. ISO 400 film is comparable to 16 megapixels RAW, but the processing times are quite annoying.
I'll see about borrowing an old point and shoot off someone, but until then: Apologies in advance.

Here are some example photos from the old nokia 6085:
Note how that they look almost passable from a distance. Now enlarge them and see how bad they are.
She makes a nice test subject.

Spot the break in the bike frame.

The DOF is quite shallow, thankfully.
Now I am really kicking myself. If I had my decent smartphone,
 I would have captured that better.


No comments:

Post a Comment